Take this opportunity to travel to our Tribal Renewable Energy Program’s headquarters on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota for a long weekend of fun, hard work, and new experiences! Although it is only a five hour drive from the Trees, Water & People office in Fort Collins, Colorado, a trip to Pine Ridge offers a life-changing experience in an entirely different culture.
What: Volunteer Weekend
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, SD
When: Thursday, April 4 – Monday, April 8
Who: Flexible volunteers who like adventure, hard work, lots of fun, and all kinds of weather. Volunteers 14-18 are welcome with adult companions.
Why: Learn about the Oglala Lakota culture, meet new people, and help finish construction of the Red Cloud Training Annex.
Volunteers are invited to arrive anytime after 6p.m. on Thursday, April 4. We will host full work days Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Projects will end by 5p.m. on Sunday, and volunteers are welcome to head home Sunday evening or on Monday morning. The primary focus of this trip will be to progress with the construction of the new Training Annex. We will be painting walls, installing windows and other fixtures, and doing whatever else the building needs at that point. Additional needs may arise between now and our trip (work in the garden? chop firewood?) – flexibility is a must. Projects may be outdoors and certainly will not take place in a climate-controlled environment.
- TWP will provide food for volunteers during their time in Pine Ridge.
- Food purchased by TWP will be vegan (no animal products). Feel free to bring your own food if you desire.
- TWP cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use.
- Volunteers will be responsible for preparing all their own food, including group dinners.
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge.
- I will be happy to coordinate carpools where possible.
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road. Many sedans have traveled it.
- Volunteers are encouraged to camp on the Red Cloud Renewable Energy campus and must bring their own camping equipment to do so. Weather will be unpredictable, so only those comfortable in the outdoors should camp.
- Also available will be bunks for up to 14 volunteers, who will share a room with up to 6 other individuals (co-ed).
To volunteer, please email the following information to Lacey Gaechter, National Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Name of all people in your volunteer party
- Email addresses for all people in your volunteer party
- Your cell phone number
- Which days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where you will be coming from and returning to (e.g. most people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)
- Whether you will be camping or require a bunk in our loft (first come, first served!)
- Do you need a ride?
- Can you offer a ride – if so, for how many people?
- Any other questions you have
Once Lacey has confirmed your spot, she will email you directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and provide you additional details about the trip.
Can’t join us in April? Join us the weekend of May 2-5 for a tree planting volunteer trip. Save the date and keep your eye out for more details!