Come join us for a weekend of volunteering at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center (RCREC), headquarters of TWP’s Tribal Renewable Energy Program. On this trip, we will be getting RCREC ready for Winter, including putting on limestone coatings on our three straw bale and compressed earth block (CEB) buildings, and helping to close up the Solar Warrior Farm. We will also visit and help with construction of the CEB house we are building for Paul Shields and his family (Paul is the son of Leonard Peltier). This will be a great opportunity for learning and making new friends. We hope you can join us!
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota (Five hours from Fort Collins)
When: Thursday, September 24th – Sunday, September 27th
Who: Flexible volunteers who like adventure, hard work, and lots of fun. Volunteers 14-18 are welcome with adult supervision.
Why: To continue our efforts to develop a unique regional renewable energy and alternative building training and demonstration Center for Native Americans.
Volunteers are invited to arrive any time on Thursday, September 24th. We will host full work days on Friday and Saturday and a half day on Sunday. Projects will end by 1:00 pm on Sunday, and volunteers are welcome to head home any time on Sunday, September 27th.
- TWP will provide volunteers with meals and snacks during the trip.
- Food purchased by TWP will be simple and tasty, but feel free to bring any other food/snacks you desire. TWP’s kitchen, cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use.
- Volunteers will help in preparing all meals and with clean up.
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge.
- We will be happy to coordinate carpools where possible.
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road. Many sedans have traveled it without any problems.
Lodging: We have 23 beds available in the Sacred Earth Lodge in three dormitory rooms. More beds are available in the loft of the Shop and Manufacturing facility. You should bring your own sleeping gear if at all possible, though some of ours will also be available.
- While it could be getting chilly by then, volunteers who would like to camp on the RCREC property can do so, but they must bring their own camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag and pad, etc.).
To volunteer, please email the following information ASAP to John Motley at email@example.com:
- Name of all people in your volunteer party
- Email addresses for all people in your volunteer party
- Your cell phone number
- Which days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where you will be coming from and returning to (e.g. many people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)
- Whether you will be camping or require a bunk in the Lodge or Loft (first come, first served!)
- Do you need a ride?
- Can you offer a ride – if so, to how many people?
- Any other questions you may have.
Once we have confirmed your spot, we will email you directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and provide you with additional details. We look forward to having you join us!