Please join us for a weekend of volunteering at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, headquarters of TWP’s Tribal Renewable Energy Program! On this trip, we will be finishing the construction of one of our straw bale homes, which will be used as a demonstration site for sustainable building, and getting our hands dirty at Solar Warrior Farm. This will be a great opportunity for learning and making new friends. We hope you can join us!
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota
When: Friday, July 11 – Sunday, July 13
Who: Flexible volunteers who like adventure, hard work, lots of fun, and all kinds of weather. Volunteers 14-18 are welcome with adult companions.
Why: To finish the straw bale demonstration home and work at Solar Warrior Farm
Volunteers are invited to arrive any time on Friday, July 11. We will host full work days on Friday and Saturday and a half day on Sunday. Projects will end by 1:00 pm on Sunday, and volunteers are welcome to head home any time on Sunday, July 13.
- TWP will provide volunteers with meals and snacks during the trip.
- Food purchased by TWP will be simple and tasty, but feel free to bring any other food/snacks you desire. We will send out a meal plan as the date comes near.
- TWP cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use.
- Volunteers will help in preparing all meals and with cleaning up afterwards.
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge.
- We will be happy to coordinate carpools where possible.
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road. Many sedans have traveled it without any problems.
- Volunteers who would like to camp on the Red Cloud Renewable Energy property must bring their own camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag and pad, etc.).
To volunteer, please email the following information to John Motley at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Name of all people in your volunteer party
- Email addresses for all people in your volunteer party
- Your cell phone number
- Which days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where you will be coming from and returning to (e.g. many people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)
- Whether you will be camping or require a bunk in our loft (first come, first served!)
- Do you need a ride?
- Can you offer a ride – if so, to how many people?
- Any other questions you may have.
Once we have confirmed your spot, we will email you directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and provide you with additional details.