Take this opportunity to travel to our Tribal Renewable Energy Program’s headquarters on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota for a long weekend of fun, hard work, and new experiences! Although it is only a five hour drive from the Trees, Water & People office in Fort Collins, Colorado, a trip to Pine Ridge will offer volunteers an unforgettable cultural experience and an opportunity to help build the Sacred Earth Lodge, our new training center and dormitory.
What: Volunteer Weekend to finish building the Sacred Earth Lodge
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota
When: Thursday, September 26 – Sunday, September 29
Who: Flexible volunteers who like adventure, hard work, lots of fun, and all kinds of weather. Volunteers 14-18 are welcome with adult companions.
Why: To help finish building the Sacred Earth Lodge and to make new friends!
All the Details:
Volunteers are invited to arrive any time after 5:00 pm on Thursday the 26th. We will host full work days Friday and Saturday and a half day on Sunday. Projects will end by 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, and volunteers are welcome to head home any time Sunday. The primary focus of this trip will be to put on the finishing touches on the Sacred Earth Lodge and basic beautification of the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center campus. This is the final push before the October 11 Grand Opening of our new training facility. Anything could come up, so please be flexible. Projects may be outdoors and certainly will not take place in a climate-controlled environment. Check the weather prior to coming.
- TWP will provide volunteers with meals and snacks during the trip.
- Food purchased by TWP will be vegetarian but feel free to bring any food you desire. We will send out a meal plan as the date comes near.
- TWP cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use.
- Volunteers will help in preparing all meals and snacks.
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge.
- I will be happy to coordinate carpools where possible.
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road. Many sedans have traveled it without any problems.
Lodging: Camping or Hostel-Style Bunks
- Campers on the Red Cloud Renewable Energy campus must bring their own camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag and pad, etc.). Weather is unpredictable, so only those comfortable in the outdoors should camp.
- There will be ample bunks available due to the new lodge, but please bring your own bedding. (sheets, blanket, pillow, etc.) The room will be co-ed and may have up to 10 people per room.
To volunteer, please email the following information to John Motley at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Name of all people in your volunteer party
- Email addresses for all people in your volunteer party
- Your cell phone number
- Which days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where you will be coming from and returning to (e.g. most people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)
- Whether you will be camping or require a bunk in our loft (first come, first served!)
- Do you need a ride?
- Can you offer a ride – if so, to how many people?
- Any other questions you may have?
Once we have confirmed your spot John will email you directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and provide you with additional details.
We hope you can make it!