Join us for a volunteer weekend at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center! This is a great opportunity for you to learn more about the Tribal Renewable Energy Program and experience the Lakota culture firsthand.
What: Volunteer Weekend
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, SD
When: Thursday, July 25 – Sunday, July 28
Who: Flexible volunteers who like adventure, hard work, lots of fun, and all kinds of weather. Volunteers 14-18 are welcome with adult companions.
Why: Meet new people and do great things!
Volunteers are invited to arrive anytime after 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 25. We will host full work days Friday and Saturday. Projects will end by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, and volunteers are welcome to head home Saturday evening or on Sunday morning. The primary focus of this trip will be working in and around our new training annex, now officially named Sacred Earth Lodge. Projects will include painting, sheet rocking, taping, trim carpentry, minor electric, and landscaping. Additional needs may arise between now and our trip so flexibility is a must!
- TWP will provide food to volunteers during their time at Pine Ridge.
- Breakfast and lunch foods purchased by TWP will be vegan (no animal products). Feel free to bring your own food if you desire.
- Dinners will be prepared for you by a local Lakota family member and will include meat products.
- TWP cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use.
- Volunteers will be responsible for preparing all their own breakfast and lunch (provided by TWP), and cleaning up after themselves.
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge.
- We will be happy to coordinate carpools where possible.
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road. Many sedans have traveled it without any problems.
- Volunteers are encouraged to camp on the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center’s campus and must bring their own camping equipment to do so. Weather will be unpredictable, so only those comfortable in the outdoors should camp.
- Bunks will also be available for up to 14 volunteers, who will share a room with up to 6 other individuals (co-ed).
To volunteer, please email the following information to Claire Burnett, National Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Name of all people in your volunteer party
- Email addresses for all people in your volunteer party
- Your cell phone number
- Which days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where you will be coming from and returning to (e.g. most people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)
- Whether you will be camping or require a bunk in our loft (first come, first served!)
- Do you need a ride?
- Can you offer a ride – if so, to how many people?
- Any other questions you may have
Once Claire has confirmed your spot, you will receive an email with directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and additional details about the trip.
We hope you can join us!