To Our Hammer-Savvy Volunteers!
This July, spend a few days helping TWP build the interior walls of our new Training Annex at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Thanks to volunteers like you, the 40′ x 60′ steel building is fully constructed and ready for rooms to be built!
What: Training Annex Walls Construction
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge Reservation, SD
When: Whenever you are available, July 1 – July 15
Who: Volunteers with some construction experience/ comfort with a hammer
Why: Take this opportunity to visit the Pine Ridge Reservation and play a critical role in expanding our training program.
Trees, Water & People is looking for 1-3 volunteers to travel to Pine Ridge at a time in order to assist our project lead, Jeremy Foster (TWP board member extroardinaire), in framing the Annex’s interior walls. You heard me right, only 1-3 volunteers at any one time, but you have two weeks to go.
We will give preference to volunteers with previous construction experience. Extra preference given to those of you with tools that you can bring with you. Please also let me know if you have any special skills that will assist us in the construction of these walls. Anyone out there with basic plumbing and/or electric knowledge (expertise not required)?
This trip is for volunteers who enjoy a little adventure! Flexibility is a must on the reservation. You should also be prepared for a lot of fun!
- TWP will pay for volunteer’s food during their time at Pine Ridge
- Food purchased by TWP will be vegan (no animal products)
- TWP cooking equipment and utensils will be available for use
- Volunteers will be responsible for preparing all their own additional food that they choose to bring
- All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation and related costs getting to Pine Ridge (although I will be happy to coordinate carpools where it is possible)
- Our facility is located down a short dirt road; Many sedans have traveled it
- Volunteers must bring their own camping equipment and will camp on the Red Cloud Renewable Energy campus
To volunteer, you must email TWP’s National Director, Lacey Gaechter, to sign-up. Please email email@example.com the following information:
- Name of all people in volunteer party
- Your email address
- Your cell phone number
- What days you have available to travel to and work in Pine Ridge
- Where will you be coming from and returning to (e.g. most people will be coming from Fort Collins, CO)?
- What is your previous construction experience/ any areas of specialty?
- Any other questions you may have
Once I have confirmed your spot, I will email you directions to the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center and provide you additional details.
I look forward to hearing from you soon! It should be a lot of fun and a lot of hard work.