You are invited to a free training and volunteer opportunity to help build a demonstration straw bale home on our partner, Henry Red Cloud’s, property at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.
What: Straw bale home construction training and volunteer trip
Where: Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center, Pine Ridge, South Dakota
Arrive: Sunday evening/ afternoon, August 7 (you may wish to arrive in time for the Pine Ridge Pow Wow).
Work: Monday-Friday, Aug 8-12
Depart: Saturday, Aug 13
Why: Learn about straw bale construction and help Henry build this demonstration of efficient, affordable housing for Native Americans living on reservations.
- All are invited to camp on Henry’s property at the Red Cloud Renewable Energy Center. Please bring your own camping equipment.
- In general, you will be responsible for your own transport to/ from Henry’s.
- For those of you traveling from Fort Collins, CO on Sunday and returning on Saturday, I will be happy to facilitate carpools.
- Our options for food will depend on the number of volunteers who sign-up.
- For now, you should assume that you will be responsible for your own food and preparation.
- TWP is happy to share its kitchen equipment including a stove and shelter. If there are 40 of us, you may be happy you brought your own camp stove…
- There is a small convenience store about 9 miles from Henry’s.
To Reserve Your Spot:
Please email Lacey Gaechter at email@example.com or call us at (970) 484-3678.
- Let Lacey know when you plan to arrive/ depart.
- Where you’ll be coming from.
- If you’d like a ride or to offer a ride from Fort Collins.
- Any questions that you have.
We hope you can join us in bringing sustainable housing options to the Lakota People!
Can’t attend but still want to help? Click here to donate to our straw bale fundraiser online!